Saturday, January 25, 2014

Peanut Butter Oat Cookies

Peanut butter is one of my favorite things. Ever. It's really every college student's best friend. I think my roommate and I went through five jars of peanut butter in our four-month semester. Whoa.

Peanut Butter all day, every day.

I love my Aunt Michelle, but being forced not to enjoy peanut butter because of a peanut allergy may be one of life's greatest tragedies. Of course, I'm exaggerating. Kind of.

Apparently I'm on a cookie kick, because when I went to open a new (giant) jar of peanut butter today, all I wanted (besides to just stick a spoon in it and start eating) was a gooey, moist, peanut buttery cookie. My mom used to make them all the time for my brother and I when we were little, and I always loved making the signature impressions with a fork. It was my one peanut-butter-cookie-making job, and I did it with gusto.

It's been years since I made peanut butter cookies, so when I whipped up a batch of these today, the smells that filled my house reminded me so much of childhood and school lunches. Adding the oats made them a little fuller and more chewy, which I like. I also like to use crunchy peanut butter because then every so often you get the little surprise nugget of nut and it's just so tasty!

The ingredients for this cookie are things that I always have on hand in the pantry, so I see many more batches in the future! Again, I'm using whole wheat flour as opposed to white flour, but either is perfect.

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats, divided
3/4 cups unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I used Adam's)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peanuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Make oat flour (pulse 1 cup of oats in food process for 30 seconds).

2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk oat and whole wheat flours, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. In another medium bowl,  cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix. Add peanut butter. Add to previously prepared flour mixture. Stir in remaining oats and peanuts (if using).

4. Place two inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Now for my favorite part! Using a fork, press tops of cookies down, creating that signature crosshatch pattern.

5. Bake about 12 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges, rotating halfway through baking.

6. Enjoy the peanut buttery goodness!

And just for fun...a video of my dog getting a little sample of these cookies :)




No comments:

Post a Comment